Thursday, June 26, 2008

my 20 year high school reunion

I went "home" to Knoxville, Tennessee last weekend for my high school reunion. After some consideration, we decided that I'd go alone. It was so nice to have a long drive and listen to the music or radio that I wanted to hear, stop when I wanted to and eat if I felt like it. My friend Melissa had graciously invited me to share her hotel room, and that turned out to be one of the highlights of the weekend for me. We got along really well, and had lots of little silly things in common. It is nice to spend time with someone who knows where you came from, and who understands at least that much of who you are.

The reunion was pretty interesting. I think of myself as an extrovert, but I found it a bit intimidating to talk to a bunch of folks who I only slightly remember. There wasn't any one person I had hoped to see, and my expectations in general were low, so the whole thing was quie nice. Most people were friendly, and there were a few people I enjoyed talking to who I really didn't know. Overall, it was worth doing, and I am glad to have gone for it.

There were several things I hoped to do while I was in Knoxville. My favorite pizza in the entire world is Stefano's Pizza, which offers a perfect whole-wheat crust. I managed to get it twice:) There is a huge, wonderful used bookstore called McKay's, and I found some good deals. We went on a driving tour of the old neighborhoods, which was cool to do with someone else who had the same random memories of Broadacres being cooler than Beverly Hills.

One of the most delightful parts of the weekend, though, was something I hadn't planned on at all. On Saturday morning, Melissa and I went for a walk, and ended up in Knoxville's Market Square where there's a Farmer's Market. There was free face-painting for kids, a butterfly tent, lots of veggies, some nice arts and crafts, and some lovely, lovely baked goods from a bakery. We sampled a beautiful cinnamon roll, an apple pie and a mixed berry scone. MMMM! bread.

I hope to do it all again in five years for the 25th.

1 comment:

Stephen R. said...

I really wanted to be there, but I couldn't get out of my show. Plus, the past two weeks have been filled with events and fundraisers that left me next to no free time at all.

We should put together a reunion for the old friends that we really want to see and catch up with one on one. I would love to see again and hug your neck.