I am really, really hoping that we can get off easy, which is what I always hope, and I am sure everyone else does, too. My normal life has me exhausted already, so when any of us gets sick, it is just one level of complication that can push me over the edge. This latest mystery illness began suddenly with a fever, lethargy, lack of appetite & sore mouth in child #2. The doctor figured it is some sort of virus, so there is nothing for us to do except the Tylenol/Motrin combo for the fever. That, and the hard part- keeping it away from the other children! The big kids are sturdy enough to fight things off usually, but I'd hate to see the 7 month-old struggling with a fever.
We are so fortunate to have (overall) healthy children, and a little virus makes our world topsy-turvy for a few weeks. I know a family who has been watching their 4 year-old battle a brain tumor over this past year, and the cancer appears to be sticking around no matter what they try. Just knowing that puts things into perspective on several levels. First, it reminds me to be extremely grateful for my children. There are lots of extra hugs and many more times these days that I try to be a better listener and pay closer attention to whatever they are saying or doing. I try to absorb their wonderfulness. Second, it strikes me that no matter what I do, no matter how I work to balance the meals and put on the bicycle helmet, there is nothing I can do to protect them 100 percent of the time, not from everything. Around here, we'll keep counting our blessings.
2 comments:
Oh Beth...I know just how you feel. I'm also following closely a little girl with a horrible brain tumor. It is heart breaking and it SO makes you appreciate every. single. moment with your loved ones and also helps me not to sweat the small stuff.
Hope the kiddos get well soon and stay healthy the rest of the flu season!
I couldn't agree more Beth. Never take it for granted.
Post a Comment