I needed a day like today. It started with a relatively calm night, allowing me to leisurely wake feeling like I had actually gotten enough sleep. My husband got up with the big kids, made their breakfast (and mine), got everyone dressed, unloaded the dishwasher and made the kitchen look clean. (I have to say that none of this is the least bit unusual. I have the best husband in the universe.)
The big kids were playing together so well that I hated to stop them and go do errands, but we did. Lucy took a nap in the car and all the way through Costco. They were all well-behaved and helped me remember what to buy. We then met Daddy for lunch at my favorite place - Chipotle, and then we all went to Trader Joe's for a few items, where the kids were well-behaved again. We delivered a meal to one of Zora's friends who has been sick, and stayed for a short visit. The family has a dog (Sam is scared of them)and had some other guests we had never met (which usually causes a big bout of shyness), but children handled that really well, too.
Lately Sam has been battling naps. He opposes them, while I support them. He is so much happier when he has had enough rest, and without a nap, he simply does not get enough. I hate this kind of battle. There is no way for me to force him to do it, and efforts to do so have proved fruitless in the past. Today, though, he slept, and miraculously, so did Zora. Of course, Lucy had fallen asleep in the car on the ride home, but we left her there, safe in the garage. There were three children taking naps simultaneously in my house today. That just felt like a lottery win!
When everyone woke up, we went outside to play. It was a beautiful day, and it was great to be outdoors enjoying it. My husband came home a wee bit early, just early enough to play for a few minutes before dinner, and we all ate what was served with no complaints or problems. (Okay, so it was leftover pizza and salad, but still!)
Bathtime went off with no problems...
Sure they fought and whined and Zora cried about five times like normal, but the difference was that I felt that I could handle it all. It is just so very nice to have a relatively easy day with very little conflict and a feeling that I can deal with whatever happens in a calm and competent way. That just doesn't happen often enough lately.
1 comment:
I could have written this post yesterday. Isn't it amazing when a good day comes. It's as if it's the moment of grace we need to keep going.
thanks for this encouragement too. I needed it for sure.
Post a Comment