Sunday, April 6, 2008

Building a raised-bed garden

So, last week my husband came home from the store with five packs of seeds. Inspired by our friends (Sandy & Chris and Karen & Link), we had been talking about starting a garden for a while. Our garden won't be as organized or productive as either of those, but we are giving it a shot (and having a good time doing it). We have lousy soil, so we went with the raised-bed model. We have done pretty much no research about when these seeds should be planted, so it will be interesting to see what comes of this endeavor. David did a nice job of designing and building the structure, filling it with dirt, and planting all of the seeds. Most amazingly, he did it all with Zora's help and he made it fun.

I love this one of my girl with the power tool! I am not sure what was going on with her lips, but it makes me smile.
Sam was helping, too. He has been standing up as much as possible lately.
Daddy and Zora mix in the cow poop. Zora has been talking about cow poop a lot. After they finished this, they planted the seeds. We spent some time reading a children's book the day before, and talking about the proper way to make a row and put the seeds in one at a time. When it was time to actually put in the seeds, Zora was too excited, and just dumped them all into the dirt. That would've totally brought out the control freak in me, but David is so easy-going. It was drizzling rain the entire time they were out there, though, so I guess that is a good excuse for the rows being less than perfect. They did do a good job of labeling the rows afterwards, so maybe we'll be able to see what is what when the plants begin to sprout.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

RachelC said...

Can't wait to see what happens!

Anonymous said...

That is adorable Beth! I've been dreaming up doing a raised bed for Jess and Josh. Hope y'all have some luck! Great pics!

Melissa Gr. said...

I totally dig the power tools with Zora. I cannot imagine you as a control freak! I finally checked in...M